Kandahar Governor (And former UBC Prof) Tooryalai Wesa released his year end report and address to the Kanadahari people.
Kandahar Governor 1389 Year Brief Activity Report
Dear Kandahar residents, respected elders mothers and sisters, journalists and reporters!
Accept my best greetings and wishes.
Initially, I heart fully thank all Kandahar residents, elders, religious scholars, mujahidin, civilized associations members, youth generation, reporters, journalists, authors, brothers and sisters which have supported my leadership in very sensitive circumstances and have given solemn advice for the more progress of the affairs of this provincial government.
Dear Kandahari People:
According to yours and my military and civil departments officials advice and with support of international communities in considering the current situation of the province a cooperative comprehensive plan was prepared for superior security, good governance and development in the related aspects which the most parts of the plan as well implemented, so based on the accountability to the people, as part of this plan I would like to give the explanations of my 2nd year employment achievements briefly.
• Search Operations launched in Kandahar city and some related districts Arghandab, Panjwaie, Zhari, and Dand which cleared from the existence of the enemies.
• For better security of the province, about 600 types of weapons collected from private security companies and submitted to DIAG program.
• For stabilizing permanent security, 117 Medrasas and more than 300 Masjids are registered.
• National High Peace Council officially gathered in Kandahar in participation of southwest and western provinces governors.
• For better security in Kandahar, extra security regions are founded.
• For stabilizing a good security in Kandahar, Afghan National Police (ANP) 3 extra Battalions added to the 205 ATAL corps.
• For good and permanent security, the number of ANP and National Directorate of Security (NDS) police are augmented, ANP and Afghan National Civil Order Police (ANCOP) new brigade which is equipped with modern weapons and arms placed in Kandahar. Also 90 local police for the first time deployed in Nagahan village of Arghandab district and the deployment process of local police is ongoing.
• From the beginning of 1389 year 10 suicide bombers explosives prevented around the city and related districts and in various operations about 250 high ranking and low ranking appositions are killed and more than 110 enemies are captured by security forces which were doing guerrilla killings captured by detective departments and more than 2600 roadside bombs are neutralized by security forces.
• Afghans led the Clearing Operations in Mah e Nijat area of city.
• Making one brigade and two battalions of Afghan National Army.
• Well qualified employees are given jobs in Kandahar related districts 21 for Arghandab, 15 for Panjwaie, 21 for Zhari and 27 for Dand districts.
• Candidates are tested with exams for the key directorate parts and for empty posts of the districts. New directors are selected for the most key directorates.
• New Shuras are established for Dand, Spin Buldak, Arghandab, Daman, Maiwand and Zhari districts which are representatives for the people honestly.
• Based on the agreement with International Security Assistance Forces (ISAF) and United States Agency for International Development (USAID), new contract policy named “Afghan First Policy” made which is authorizing the Government to take relevant taxes from contractors and additionally will have the authority to evaluate and monitor the projects.
• New office departments are built for Dand and Arghndab employees and also the new apartments work on progress for their residing.
• Dand district became the official district of Kandahar province and process of making official the Takhtapool District is ongoing.
• According to a decree of Afghan President, an Amlak commission founded in Kandahar which opened the lands from the people which were non- lawfully possessed by them in this process shops of Manzalyn market destroyed and a school for male and female students is being constructed there. Also 150 jiribs land was freed in Kokaran and hundred jiribs in of land in Dorahi besides, in Shkapoor bazaar hundreds shops and houses obliterated and the land possessed by the government.
• Districts employees are paid high amount of salaries by DDP program.
• Tens of thousands youths, male and female are working inside the city and related districts, which is a big output in our recruitment process in the local government.
C: Reconstruction and socio-economic Developments:
• Kandahar University Senior Management Team was given the privileges of super scale salary.
• Kandahar University website designed and is already online.
• University central area all pavements and drains are paved with the total cost of USD 150,000 and ready for use.
• Noori Fiber project is practically operating and the university related officials are benefiting of it in financial aid of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
• 75 Solar power producing poles are installed in the university related area with the total cost of USD 100,000.
• There are three green planted rooms in Agriculture faculty analyzing farm with the total cost of USD 8,000.
• The University central lab apartment foundation started which will totally cost USD 3,000,000.
• University Computer lab provided with the total cost of USD 55,000. Also computer and English learning center inside the university completed with the total cost of USD 80,000 and ready for use.
• A protocol contract of mutual donations was signed between Kandahar University and American Ball State University in financial assistance of USAID which will be valid up to two years.
• Also for Economy, Islamic Studies, Engineering, and Agriculture faculties the partnership methods are developed which will be completed to the end of this year.
• In the year1389, ten teachers of Kandahar University were sent to different countries for getting the MBBS and 7 teachers returned back which were abroad for the past two years.
• The process of connecting Kandahar University Agriculture Faculty with the Briseno University of United States of America is in progress.
• In the year1398, education Directorate related schools graduated youths are introduced for higher education to different countries, 38 students to Pakistan, 40 to Afghan-American, 20 to India and six students to Turkey, also 10 teachers are introduced for securing MBBS to Japan and 11 teachers in management are sent to Germany.
• In year 1389, 18,000 students newly enrolled in schools.
• From the beginning of the year 1389, 23 new apartments are built for schools 5 inside the city and 18 others in related districts of the province with total cost of USD 2,150,000.
• In Kandahar, 37 schools are equipped with labs with the cost of one million dollars.
• By the end of the year1389, Ahmad Shah Baba, Mirwais Mini male/female and Ghazi Amanullah high schools’ renewing process will be finished with total cost of an amount of USD 300,000.
• In the year 1389, some 1,300 teachers are officially attending schools which 700 out of 1,300 are female teachers.
• A new science center established with total cost of USD 500,000 which is practically being experienced in biology and chemistry sectors.
• Kandahar Education Directorate has distributed stationary to all schools classes and a new contract for the stationary is signed for 112,000 students.
• 11 closed schools reopened and 38 schools newly established.
• Tens of public-welfare projects implemented in Kandahar city as paving of roads, canals constructions, building of cement trashes, installation of solar lights, and repair of drains and renewing of Masjids which could be categorized as following in the sub-districts level:
• Ten Projects in first Sub-district
• Four projects in second Sub-district
• Seven projects in third Sub-district
• Fourteen projects in fourth Sub-district
• Fourteen projects in fifth Sub-district
• Eighteen projects in sixth Sub-district
• Seven projects in seventh Sub-district
• Six projects in eighth Sub-district
• Five projects in ninth Sub-district
• Three projects in tenth Sub-district
• also 8 Masjids are renewed in Kandahar city 15 other Masjids renewing process are ongoing in addition to districts wise tens other Masjids renewing process are in progress.
Agriculture and Livestock Directorate:
• About 8,820 farmers are distributed agricultural-kits one to each farmer, 50 kilograms of improved seeds, and 50 kilograms of chemical fertilizer and the distribution process of 100 kilograms Yorya fertilizer to each farmer is going on inside the city and to the related districts of the province by International Relief and Development (IRD) organization.
• The farmers of Dand and Daman districts are distributed 200 tons of improved seeds 200 tons of DDP and 400 tons of Yorya fertilizer.
• The foundation of a new apartment is laid for the Agriculture Directorate Kandahar which the expanses will totally cost 6,600,000 Afghani.
• 30 Jiribs of land in farm Turnak is separated for planting the sprouts by Agriculture Directorate Ministry Development budget with the total cost of 667,000 Afghani and will be ready for planting.
• Kandahar Agriculture Directorate has distributed 43 tractor vehicles in Arghandab, 60 tractors to Spin Buldak and Takhtapool along with all its equipments to 56 Cooperatives with the financial assistance of IRD.
Public Work Directorate:
• Kandahar Public Works Directorate as per their plan has cleaned about 110 kilometer drains and cleared 30 cubic kilometers of culvert sedimentation.
• 68 Kilometer road is asphalted and 6,000 square meter paved road surroundings as well repaired.
• A hundred- ton weighting scale is based in Kandahar Bagh e Ful area to control the weight of heavy vehicles coming through Heart-Kandahar highway.
• The work progress of 70 kilometer road pavement is completed in financial aid of Kandahar City Municipality and other donations agencies and tens other roads repairing process are ongoing.
• Southern passing bypass road which is about 49 kilometer long started from Shurandam Kandahar-Spin Buldak main road and passed through the villages of Munara and Dand and Panjwaie districts and finally reaches the spot to Zhari Pashmol the Kandahar-Heart highway, 22 kilometer work is finished with the total cost of USD 6,000,000and for the rest the issue negotiated with donors.
• In the year 1389, Kandahar Sports Department has launched 5 football tournaments, 2 volleyball tournaments, one horse running race and two wrestling matches.
• A five-day seminar held by sports Department for football players, explaining football background and other football related issues, which successfully ended.
• Sports Department office renewed with the total cost of USD 50,000.
Public Health Directorate:
• 22 midwives graduated from Public Health Institute in the year 1389.
• Kandahar Public Health Directorate has built health centers inside the city and in related districts of the province with the total cost of USD 3,600,000.
• The foundation stone for Health institute was laid which will totally cost USD 270,000.
Water and Power Directorate:
• By the end of year 1389, the power tax will be computerized and all the customers will be paying taxes through banks.
• A 500-kilowatt generator plant was installed for Spin Buldak district in order solve the district residents’ power problem.
• A 200-kilowatt generator was installed for Panjwaie district disabled blocks and now their power problems are settled.
• A 10-migawatt power generator is provided for Shuarandam industrial factories and for Kandahar city residents.
• A 10-migawatt power generator producing work is ongoing.
Rural Rehabilitation and Development Directorate:
• Rural Rehabilitation and Development Directorate has completed 525 public-welfare projects in all 16 districts of Kandahar province.
• 44 projects are ongoing, 573 projects are newly started, 585 projects contracts are signed and 30 projects contract canceled due to low-quality during the monitoring and evaluation of the projects. The total cost for the above projects are 246, 000,000 Afghani.
• A big gathering was held in Arghandab district for the no cultivation of opium and poppy.
• Chemical fertilizer and improved seeds distributed in four districts of Kandahar province.
• In order to prevent farmers from cultivation of poppy, the farmers were encouraged to cultivate saffron which firstly this trail version was done in Daman district also 8 farmers were sent to Heart province for getting the professional skills in this regard.
• There are extensive campaigns launched for the no cultivation of poppy.
• Joint meetings held with some organizations for the treatment of addicted in Kandahar which has 20 beds at the same time.
• Kandahar Police Headquarters Counter-Narcotics Department has seized 180 kilograms of opium in Ghurak district of Kandahar province which burnt.
• In Kandahar Central Jail, there is serious ban on using drugs and all the sources are closed which could have access for providing the drugs to the prisoners.
• The districts which have brought the cultivation of poppy to zero for their future encouraging 10 Tractors are bought them.
• Arghandab River Irrigation System is kept active which Shawalikot, Arghestan, Zhari, Maiwand, Panjwaie, Dand and Damd districts farmers water their lands with 110 sub-canals and get high value products every year.
• Arghndab River gates which control the water are newly repaired.
• Dahla Damn Turbine which was not working once, again activated and repaired by its professional staff.
• Dahla Damn and Arghandab River water management system is under work, once all canals became clean in that case the water can reach every part easily.
• Kandahar province related water management nine gates which plays an important role in water management are repaired which their locations are as following:
• Bandar-e-Inherafy, Omomi Sarband, Delawar Khan Kalacha, inside the main canal, Sarband general canal and Baba Wali canal.
• Water management Directorate has implemented 74 public-welfare projects in various parts of Kandahar.
• In financial aid of IRD and with close cooperation of water Management Directorate 120 Kariz cleaning process is completed.
• As per the request of Kandahar related districts’ residents, 205 projects are implemented by PDP.
• The following projects completed in various sectors in Kandahar:
• 15 projects in Public Health
• 16 projects in Agriculture
• 30 projects in Education
• 40 projects in Infrastructure
• 5 projects in Private Sector
• 10 projects in Security Sector
• 3 projects in Governance and Human Rights
• 9 projects in Social Safety
The total cost for the above mentioned projects is 40,200,000 Afghani.
• In Kandahar Spin Buldak district a survey for the building of a modern custom apartment is completed and the practical work will start soon.
Media and Culture Section:
• Tolo-e-Afghan daily newspaper after 89 years printed color and the quality is as well better.
• The apartment for Governor House Media Office is constructed also culture Directorate library apartment work progress is about 95% completed. In Cultural parts, the Information and Culture Directorate has held two seminars and 17 Academic gatherings.
• About ten books of authors/writers are published so far and ten other will be published very soon.
• The renovation process of Hajji Mirwais Khan Nika mausoleum ended, also Sher e Sorkh Shrine, Ahmad shah Baba Grave- Tomb, Shahidano Chuk and Chil Zeny work process is continuing.
• Making libraries and museums.
• Women Affairs Directorate:
• Donating sewing machines to the women with the budget of Kandahar Governor House.
• Conducting anti-violence courses for women.